Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How will Eldar work with Dark Eldar?

Fast Attack option yes?!

Now that we've seen some rules floating around, we can get a better idea of what we want in our armies.  First thing's first:  Who will be the primary army and who will be secondary?  I honestly think the amount of lances and poison weaponry available to the Dark Eldar will make them a better primary army.  Eldar, because they bring in a lot of specialized and powerful support options, will be a better secondary.

With that said, I plan on rocking a Dark Eldar primary and Eldar secondary force.  Let me know what you guys will be running and why!

Who will lead this primary army?  Probably a cheap Succubus because I've been running with one for quite some time now.  I will probably be looking at cheaper lanceboat options because I want to run a Wraithknight in my army.  The model is quite nice, it's basically a mini-Titan and I'm hoping the rules are great.  So what does this mean really?  Well.. that means most of the anti-tank work will be left for my Heavy Support Ravagers and the Wraithknight.  This kind of rags on the need for Wyches and instead, more lances will be added for support.

My train of thought right now is:  Drop the Wyches, or just limit them to 1 for CC and tank.  Close combat has taken a bit of a hit in this new shoot-tastic edition and I want to be able to maximize my shooting.  Shooting in general works better with Psychic powers, and now with a Farseer to work alongside my Dark Eldar, I want to be able to utilize his abilities as much as possible.  According to the rumors, Eldar powers will no longer specially state Eldar units.

So what does this look like in the end of the day?
Wyches are out.
Cheaper Lanceboats to make up for troop choices.
We're looking at a lot of 130 point 5-warrior, Blaster, Raiders, and maybe other stuff.
Let's take 2 full gunboats for now because I want to be able to utilize their firepower in combination with Doom, Guide or Prescience or whatever.

Let's work with this as the skeleton:

HQ:
Succubus (Agonizer/BP, Haywire) = 105

TROOPS:
5x Warriors (Raider NS, Blaster) = 130
5x Warriors (Raider NS, Blaster) = 130
5x Warriors (Raider NS, Blaster) = 130
10x Warriors (Raider NS/SR, Blaster, SC) = 195
9x Wyches (Raider NS, Hekatrix/VB, Haywires) = 195

HEAVY:
Ravager (NS) = 115
Ravager (NS) = 115
Ravager (NS) = 115

Depending on how powerful the Wraithknight is at making up for my AP or AT needs, we're looking at roughly 770 points to play with in a 2k point game.

That should be enough to buy a Farseer on a bike + some scoring Eldar Jetbikes as troops, and a Wraithknight at least.  Depending on the points of all of this, I'll be able to take one of those new Eldar Crimson Hunters for AA duties in Fast Attack.

What about you guys?  What you plan on doing with your Dark Eldar/Eldar force?

PS - Baron, Wraithguard, new Conceal.  Tempting.. yes?

7 comments:

Royce Peterson said...

I like your ideas. I also am hoping that the wraithguard are some solid, effective, durable troops. Alongside some awesome rangers/pathfinders. Let the dark eldar run around the edges wreaking havoc, while the wraithguard take the brunt of the fire. Then add reavers and all kinds of fighters and bombers. The wraithknight and ravagers blow holes in everything. Thats what i hope the eldar look like. It is very difficult to set up lists until we have rules.
So soon. So very soon.

Rathstar said...

The flyer with a pule laser AND 2 bright lances looks interesting, and being fast attack doesn't compete with the heavy slots. I'm thinking a farseer on a jetbike (if they're still allowed jetbikes), 3 eldar jetbikes (I'm hoping they're still troops). For heavy support I'm thinking War Walkers rather than Wraithknight. If I was doing Eldar primary the Wraithknight would be straight in, but I think War Walkers fit with Dark Eldar bettwr (once they haven't been hit with the nerf stick).

Rathstar

Discordian said...

I've been fielding a troop unit of wraithguard for several years now, one of the units that got me into playing Eldar. Since 6th I've been fielding primary Dark Eldar to get better shooting support, Eldar shooting just hasn't impressed me for 2 editions. Every-bodies favorite utility HQ Baron giving hit and run to a wraithguard unit has also been pretty neat too.


I'm guessing if I will want to field Wraithguard as troops still, Ill have to switch to Eldar primary. It's probably still going to be a unlock troop choice, and I think they are going to force it on a HQ character if your using Eldar as your primary like they've done with every 6th codex (the ones that have more then two choices..... WHY TAU!).


I have several thousand points worth of each Eldar and Dark Eldar that are waiting to find out how they play with the force org. Hope I don't have to buy much to keep playing the army the way I like to. The two books that may both be needed to field Iyandon Eldar is already bugging the crap out of me.

Sky Serpent said...

I've heard from verrry good sources that jetbikes are going back to fast attack which will be a bit of a shame. I think the stand out for us is the Nightshade, as long as the points cost is reasonable it is kicking out some real anti armour/flyer, especially if it is piloted by an Exarch.
I've been musing on the idea of a Wraithknight, probably with the shield to act as a huge bullet magnet, the amount of fire that will distract from Raiders will be great.
And don't forget the Warp Hunter, it's not changing with the codex, it'll get access to the new vehicle upgrades (holos are amazing now!) and is for me one of the best tanks in the game.

Sky.

Rathstar said...

Nnnnoooooo !!!! Jetbikes moving back to fast attack is a big change. I thought they were one of the best small troop choices to start in reserve and grab or contest objectives in the enemy deployment zone.

I don't want a wave serpent and dire avengers on foot wouldn't work with the rest of my DE list. Guardians I just don't like the models or fluff. I'm at a lost as to a troop unit to add to get me access to farseers, fast attack flyers and war walkers :(

Rathstar

HERO said...

I think having a huge jump packing MC will do us a lot of good in terms of pulling fire away from our main troops. The crazy anti-infantry weapons this thing has is also something to write home about I think. Just having those rumored S10 blast lances is enough to take down infantry and vehicles alike. I think I will build mine shooty, with a Farseer on a bike along with his scoring bike troops (check the pre-order, Bikes are still troops). Throw in a Eldar flyer for AA duties and I think we can make one hell of a balanced army.

HERO said...

The army lists bikes as troops still, just renamed. Also, word on the street is that Shuriken weapons 6's count as auto-wounds at AP2.

Post a Comment