Saturday, May 22, 2010

BR: 35pt Rahn vs. eVlad


So I played another game yesterday and this time it was against my friend's eVlad list.  Here are the two lists:

Points: 35
Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Champion (*5pts)
* Berserker (6pts)
* Berserker (6pts)
* Drago (8pts)
Great Bears of Gallowswood (5pts)
Man-o-war Demolition Corps (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (4pts)
Widowmaker Marksman (2pts)

Points: 35
Adeptis Rahn Shyeel (*6pts)
* Manticore (8pts)
* Phoenix (10pts)
Dawnguard Sentinels (Leader and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
* Dawnguard Sentinel Officer & Standard (2pts)
House Shyeel Battle Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Arcanist (1pts)
House Shyeel Magister (2pts)
House Shyeel Magister (2pts)
Mage Hunter Assassin (2pts)

The deployment was pretty standard.  I let him go first and he set up his army relatively close to eachother with Drago on this right side and everything on the left.  My deployment was basically a wall of infantry with my two 'jacks behind me.  The MHA advance deployed slightly further up from my infantry getting ready to head into terrain.



His first turn was what all Khador players do:  Cast upkeepable spells and then run everything he got.  He puts Hand of Fate on his Widowmakers, Assail on Drago and loops him around to join the rest of his army.  His Widowmakers also pushed up and tried setting up infront of a building.  My first turn saw my entire army moving up with run.  This meant that everything I had was within 14" of his army.  The Phoenix got into position to arc a Chain Blast over in attempts to kill some Widowmakers, but no serious damage was done and I managed to only kill one sniper.  Polarity Shield was cast on the Sentinels and the turn passes.

Next turn, Widowmakers with Hand of Fate kills two Sentinels.  His Zerkers run in front of his snipers after they shoot to offer them cover, cleverly sandwiching his snipers between a building and themselves (or so he thought!).  The rest of his army moves up slightly because he wants to get the combined charge next turn.  On my turn, things get slightly more interesting.  I put 2 focus on my Phoenix, upkeep Polarity and keep 5 for myself.  My Sents use Vengeance to move up slightly more in front of my army and then shifts to the right, away from the mass of his army on the left.  My mittens do the same and the Magisters shift towards the left.  The MHA slightly behinds the mittens.  The Manticore Covering Fires in front of the Demos/Bears.  Now comes some Elf trickery and Rahn casts a Force Hammer through the Phoenix and into the Zerker in front of all the Snipers.  He gets hit, slammed 5 inches into the building behind him and the snipers get their faces smashed in; caught between the giant warjack and the wall.  The Phoenix also fired his Halo Cannon and managed an awesome roll of 4 (matches 18 ARM) on the other Zerker.  With one of his Zerkers now knocked down and his snipers crushed beneath it, my opponent gets desperate.

On his next turn, he puts focus on Drago and charges him at my mittens.  He misses by about 2".  The way I moved my mittens last turn guarantee I would deny the charge since he couldn't charge my Sents on the frontal arc.  The Drago 'jack only had 10" threat afterall.  He spends focus on the KD'd Zerker and runs both of them in range of my Sentinels and the Phoenix.  Sure, he didn't charge but he was now in melee range of my guys next turn (or so he thought!).  The rest of his Demos push up dangerously close to my, separated by the small bit of terrain on my left flank, and the Great Bears looped around behind them.  They avoided the Covering Fire but it slowed down their advance significantly and that's what I needed.  I had to make a difference on my turn or things will go terribly wrong.  You never want a Khador army to be this close to you.  Ever.

Here it is.. my big turn.  I drop Polarity, put 3 focus on my Manticore and keep everything else on Rahn.  Rahn activates, pop feat and uses Telekinesis to move Drago almost next to two of his Demo Corps and turn his back to me.  I use Force Blast on my Phoenix and it pushes both Zerkers 4" away from him.  My Sentinels activate next and charges the two Zerkers in front of me.  I send 5 into each one.  They completely wreck one and leaves the other with 1 damage box left.  The Magister closer to him shoots into combat with 3D6 to hit and damage and kills him.  The Phoenix shoots at the Drago with his back turned and does nothing with his Halo Cannon (I rolled like a 3) and my Arcanist puts +2 damage on my Manticore.  The mittens activate and knocks down 2 of the 5 Demo Corps and pushes them back near the Great Bears, further denying them next turn's charge.  The Manticore now charges the back of Drago and spends a point for +3 more strength and goes to town on him.  Effectively MAT8 on the charge, he severely damages Drago in time for my other Magister to charge and combo-smite his dead corpse into two Demos, doing significant damage.

We call it here.  The Khador army was in shambles and the Elves of Ios emerge victorious.  My opponent had no idea what to expect his first time playing vs. Retribution and Rahn.  He knows now the trickery of the Elves and next game will definitely be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment